Text Structure Resources
Knowledge of text structure is critical for reading to learn. By identifying the organizational structures of texts, students can observe how authors arrange ideas and determine which kinds of structures are used to interrelate ideas.
- Text Structure Resources from eThemes - Includes links to lessons and ideas for teaching at grades 2-6.
- ReadWriteThink - fantastic resource for lesson plans and activities. Search by text structure and grade level for multiple ideas.
Text Structure Resources:
- Teaching Text Structure and More - This PowerPoint offers a variety of great teaching resources and ideas.
- Text Structure Workmat from USD 259 allows students to put a paragraph or article in the middle of the mat and have a visual of all graphic organizers that might help them identify the structure of the text.
- Text Structure, Type, Features Poster from USD 259 helps students understand the difference between these terms.
- Text Structure Examples allow students to see how each structure looks using the same topic and allows them to try to write within each text structure after seeing the example
- Graphic organizers for all five text structures (description, problem/solution, cause/effect, compare/contrast, and sequence)
- Signal Word Chart - Nice one-page chart listing all five text structures and corresponding graphic organizers, definitions, signal words, and signal questions.
- Text Structure Master Chart - Two page chart that provides a great resource for teachers and handout for secondary students.
- Text Structure Paragraph Frames - Make a reading-writing connection using these writing frames: elementary, secondary
- These colorful posters were created by Becky Cox at Valley Center, Kansas USD 262. Included are posters for description, sequence, comparison-contrast, cause-effect, and problem-solution. Thanks Becky!
|text structure cards.doc||196.5 KB|
|Evaluating Text Features.doc||37 KB|
|Books for teaching text structure.doc||53.5 KB|
|Text Structure Workmat.pdf||32.44 KB|
|Text feature,type,structure poster.doc||190.5 KB|
|Text Structure Goose Bumps examples.doc||27 KB|
|Text features.structures.pdf||7.44 MB|